Re: File with weird permissions, impossible to delete

On Tuesday 11 September 2018 19:13:58 Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> On 12/09/2018 00:59, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 01:52:15PM +0200, Pétùr wrote:
> >> I have some files, with weird permissions:
> >> # ls -la
> >> d-wS--S--T 2 1061270772 2605320832  4096 oct.   7  2412 index.html
> >
> > Obvious file system corruption.  Unmount, fsck, re-mount, and then
> > be prepared to restore the data from your last good backup if/when
> > the fsck failed to repair everything.
>
> I would also use journalctl to look for any i/o errors on the affected
> device.
>
> What hardware and kernel and filesystem? ext4 filesystem corruption is
> rare and usually suggests a hardware fault.
>
> I would run a full hardware test, including CPU and RAM, and a long
> SMART test on the storage if it is capable. SMART self-tests will not
> usually detect drive data transmission errors caused by cable
> problems, but the SMART logs should list the CRC error count which can
> indicate unreliable cables or controller connectors.
>
> I would first identify the *cause* and replace all unreliable hardware
> before bothering to restore from backup. If you have noticed some
> corruption, you likely also have some unnoticed corruption. Continuing
> to use unreliable hardware wastes your time and endangers your data.
>
> Kind regards,

I will 2nd and 3rd Bens advice. Bad cables have been the huge majority of
such nefarious goings on. Particularly if they are bright red and 4+
years old, put a tail on the log, and prod the cable gently with a
wooden pencil.  If the log blows up, bad cable, replace it with any
color but red. Preferably a month ago...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)