Re: Sound in Stretch

Joe wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 22:54:26 +0200

> OK, aplay -l as root sees my USB device as card 1.

why as root - are you in the audio group?

$ grep audio /etc/group
audio:x:29:abcdef,pulse,timidity

> I have various sound modules loaded, including snd, soundcore and
> snd_usb_audio. I assume from this that my device driver has been found.
>
> Speaker-test is unable to find any sound cards.

what is the sound card, mainboard etc.?

For example here I have intel HD based card on the board and a web cam
attached (the usb) and HDMI display link. You can ignore the midi. So good
modules loaded look like this

$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_usb_audio         184320  2
snd_usbmidi_lib        28672  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            32768  1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_seq_device         16384  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     57344  1
snd_hda_codec_conexant    20480  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    77824  1 snd_hda_codec_conexant
snd_hda_intel          32768  4
snd_hda_codec         118784  4
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              16384  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_hda_core           65536  5
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               102400  5
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm
snd                    81920  24
snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi
soundcore              16384  1 snd
usbcore               221184  10
xhci_hcd,ehci_pci,snd_usb_audio,usbhid,snd_usbmidi_lib,uvcvideo,ehci_hcd,btusb,xhci_pci,uhci_hcd