Re: Is there a log file of ...?

On 2018-09-08, Michael Wagner <wagner_m_bremen@web.de> wrote:

> On Sep 08, 2018 at 15:29:44, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> And while we're at it, CTRL-R and start typing a substring of
>> the past command you're looking for: the more letters you have,
>> the more specific the match becomes (also called "reverse
>> incremental search").
>>=20
>> Takes a bit to get used to, but is... magic.
>>=20
>> I'm surprised it is so little known.
>
> This is one of the first things I set when installing a new Debian.
> But you must set it explicitly in /etc/inputrc systemwide or in your=20
> ~/.inputrc. I don't how this behaviour is in other distris.

Is that right? I don't remember ever having set it (though I use the
functionality).

I wouldn't know how to set it if I had to set it. Maybe something like

bind '"\C-r": backward-search-history'

?

I'm reading forward-search-history is bound to (get you into big
trouble) Ctrl+S, but that that combo is also the flow control sequence
for the terminal driver, so the shell never sees it (unless you disable
flow control--'stty -ixon'). You can also enable an alternative key
binding, of course. I'm only parroting here what I've just read (famous
last weasel words).