Re: dhcp service problem on stretch

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 17:33:39 +0000
Bonno Bloksma <b.bloksma@tio.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just installed my first stretch server using the 9.5 DVD1, installed
> the normal system environment, no desktop just a ssh server, and
> added the isc dhcp server. I transferred my original dhcpf.conf file,
> stripped what I did not need in the new environment and expected no
> problems. However...
>
> It seems the dhcp service does not want to start but I have no idea
> why. I have stripped my dhcpd.conf down to barely nothing and a
> regular test gives no errors but the service refuses to start, why?
>

> No Sep 06 17:47:42 linom1 isc-dhcp-server[1668]: Launching both IPv4
> and IPv6 servers (please configure INTERFACES
> in /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server if Sep 06 17:47:42 linom1

> Who can help me?

I'll have a go. Do what it says about /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server.
I'll make a guess that the ethernet interface(s) now have different
names and you need to modify the file to suit, or the file may even
have no interfaces listed. I'm assuming you've done the same in the
dhcpd.conf.

I've just hit the same thing, switching an obsolete drive into an old
machine to boot it for the last few times, and found that it insists on
calling the two ethernets eth2 and eth3, instead of 0 and 1 as in the
previous hardware. Yes, I know why, it's just a nuisance.

--
Joe