Re: Confused by Amanda

On Monday 03 September 2018 01:24:35 Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 11:46:44AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 September 2018 06:27:01 Dan Ritter wrote:
> > > Amanda is not good for the situation you describe.
> >
> > No its not ideal in some cases,, which is why I wrote a wrapper
> > script for the make a backup portions of amanda. With the resources
> > and configs that existed at the time that backup was made actually
> > appended to the end of the vtape, pretty much an empty drive
> > recovery is possible. It appends the /usr/local/etc/amana/$config,
> > and /usr/local/var/amanda/record_of_backups to each vtape it makes.
> > So those 2 files can be recovered with tar and gzip, put back on a
> > freshly installed linux of your favorite flavor, and a restore made
> > that will be a duplicate of what your had last night when backup.sh
> > was ran.
>
> Thanks Gene, I was hoping you would pipe up but didn't want to throw
> the spotlight on you if you weren't inclined to. This is exactly what
> I'm after so I will definitely check it out.
>
> Thanks also to Dan and Jose, I can see what you mean and it makes much
> of the Amanda documentation make more sense now. But as I mentioned,
> my configuration currently isn't an end state and I'm planning to
> expand it to cover other machines on my network, at which point Amanda
> will make more sense. I get the concept of two Amandas, one to backup
> the Amanda server of the first, but then you're into a "turtles all
> the way down" scenario, aren't you? Just seems overkill when one
> Amanda can look after its own server as well, albeit with some
> jiggerypokery which Gene has kindly cast light on.
>
> So I think we can agree, Amanda's expected usage model is ideally for
> situations where there are multiple machines to back up, you designate
> one machine the Amanda server (presumably the one with the easiest /
> fastest access to the backup media) and accept that that machine needs
> special, usually separate, arrangements for _its_ backup. But it's
> _possible_ with attention to the right details such as things Gene has
> pointed out, to include the Amanda server machine itself in the
> backup.
>
> Thanks all, especially Gene for, I suspect, saving me a lot of work.
>
> Mark
I don't have anything special in terms of backup up this server machine,
its just another set of entries in the disklist. But I'm failing at
makeing disklist entries that are reasonable sized, which defeats
amanda's scheduleing to try and use the same amount of backup media
every night. So I recently separated one of the subdirs in my /home dir
that has over 50 GB in it, and now I need to subdivide that even further
to distribute the load better yet. So as not to disturb amanda greatly
I'll break out one of those subdirs in another 3 or 4 days, which means
that subdir gets an entry in the excludes file for that dumptype, and a
new dumptype created just for that subdir, breaking out the biggest one
remaining each time until I get all disklist entries down to not more
than 10 to 15 GB. Biggest problem is install iso's as I keep all of them
for all 3 architectures here on this machine, where the best dvd burner
lives.

After the next install on this machine, several x86 iso's can go away.
But thats future plans. This morning, after I feed the missus, and put a
can of R134 in my pickups AC which finally gave up yesterday, its peaked
at 97 on my thermometers, then its up to WHAW, our local radio station
and see if I can find the intermittent loss of 70% of the oscillator
assemblies output thats putting him back on his 50 watt night time
transmitter.

And the owner is afraid of mods, which are unavoidable because the OEM
parts are not available. Its a 1959 Gates BC1T. 59 years old. I've
finally convinced him its on borrowed time if for no other reason that
every time he buys a new set of 833 final tubes, thats 4 less of them
that exist on the planet and whats he gonna do when he calls up for
another set and there aren't any left, even the Chinese have shut down
that production line years ago.  Hell, its time he retired anyway.

BTDT, used all of the planets remaining 4-1000's for the tv transmitter
at WDTV when I was the CE there for the last 19 years of my working
life. I should have built a new box for the pair of 4-1000's it used,
but with a single 4CX3000 tube, a 30 year newer design I could still get
but was too busy with other stuff at the studio to really attack that
project. Now its finally turned off for good with the digital conversion
at midnight, June 30, 2008. It was good while it lasted, that
transmitter was built in 1953. So it was 55 yo when shut down for the
last time.

Gotta get to it, coffee s/b ready. :)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett