Re: Confused by Amanda

On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 06:27:01AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 04:09:22PM +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > I recently messed up some files and decided to resort to the backup to
> > recover them. I was able to do so, but the process left me wondering if
> > I would really be in a position to do so in all cases. For example,
> > Amanda configuration is in /etc/amanda -- what if /etc was what I needed
> > to restore? Similarly, I gather there are files under /var/lib/amanda --
> > what happens if /var is damaged?
> >
> > I have not been able to understand from the Amanda documentation really
> > all that I need to have in place to be able to expect to recover from,
> > say, a disk replacement after catastrophic failure. I'm imagining, main
> > disk goes to data heaven, I buy a new one, install Stretch again fresh,
> > and now I want to re-install packages and restore their backed-up
> > configuration as well as restore my data in /home etc. I know there are
> > a few experienced users of Amanda on this list -- can anyone help me, or
> > perhaps point me to a good resource that explains it, or even if there's
> > a section in the documentation I've missed that makes it clear?
> >
> > I guess a key point is, in my configuration, the same machine is both
> > Amanda server and Amanda client. I guess I may expand this in the future
> > to have this machine manage backups for other machines, but at the
> > moment that is not happening. Of course, the disk that houses the Amanda
> > virtual tapes is off-machine.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is along the lines of "your nightly backup routine
> > needs to be run amdump, then rsync this, this and this directory
> > somewhere safe" or whatever it is. Or alternatively "don't be an idiot
> > you don't need to do any of that, amanda is magic in this, this and this
> > way".
>
> Amanda is not good for the situation you describe.

I can confirm that.  I manage 3 installations of amanda server and in
2 of them I have a secondary backup system of the server using
storeBackup.  My home installation of amanda is a machine with 3 disks
of 4TB.  The first have all the system data and my personal files, the
others 2 disks contains the vTapes and the backup files of
storeBackup.  With this setup I can survive the loss of a single
disk.

Being the 3 disks always online, I am not protected against a virus
or a sysadmin error that can wipe the data in the 3 disks with one
single command.

> Tell us your scenario, and we can offer better advice.

Indeed.

> -dsr-

Kind regards
Jose M Calhariz