Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 13:35:35 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 09:49:06 -0000 (UTC)
> > Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> >> Isn't that what Facebook, et. al. already do? It's AOL all over
> >> again.
> > Not quite yet. I can still invent a completely new protocol, send
> > you the details, and we can exchange data over the Net using it.
> > One day, ISPs will pass nothing but http/s.
> >
> Hm, seems like that'd break quite a lot of things that're important to
> business -- SMTP, SFTP, FTP[*], AS2 ...

Businesses are heavy users of Office 365, recent MS server
infrastructure practically requires it. Bill Gates has been wanting to
rent out software practically from the beginning. Files are all kept in
'the cloud'. Even my accountant has outsourced all IT, and she's
practically a one-woman-band.

--
Joe