Re: iproute, NM and ifupdown

Reread what you wrote:

> [...]

That's about the *man pages* for resolvconf.

> > [snipped various properties of resolvconf's man page on
> > wheezy/jessie/stretch.]

> > > What is installed on 4 of the 6 boxes here, is a wheezy install
> > > thats been tweaked to A: put a realtime kernel on it so it can run
> > > linuxcnc on real hardware. The stretch I'll install here after my
> > > new drive cage arrives, and I found today that newegg's fedex is a
> > > week for delivery, its not expected to arrive here before Thursday
> > > evening, has also been tweaked to run LinuxCNC, probably by a real
> > > time kernel replacement..
> >
> > Which kernel you run should have no connection with the contents of
> > Debian's resolvconf packages. You should still have these three:
> >
> >  4575 Jun 19  2012 /usr/share/man/man8/resolvconf.8.gz
> >  4500 Jan 27  2015 /usr/share/man/man8/resolvconf.8.gz
> >  4500 May 19  2016 /usr/share/man/man8/resolvconf.8.gz

Those are the man pages (your "docs") for wheezy/jessie/stretch.
They should be on your various systems according to Debian codename.

> not on any wheezy sourced from the linuxcnc install iso, David

Well, look again. In /usr/share/man/man8/, not /etc/.

> My /etc/resolv.conf is a real file and looks something like this:
>
> nameserver 192.168.71.1
> search hosts nameserver
>
> And it Just Works.

Yes, /etc/resolv.conf is not a man page. And I don't suppose your
/etc/resolv.conf is missing from wheezy or horribly incomplete in
jessie, which is what you were claiming for the *docs*.

And note that none of this is about the man page for resolv.conf which
is in section (5) rather than (8) as it's about a file, not a command.
If you read the latter, you'll see that your line "search hosts nameserver"
doesn't make a lot of sense.

But that's a conversation we had last year.

Cheers,
David.