Re: Status of java-package

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:30:49PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

Hi,

> Incidentally, it has been a long time since I encountered any Java that
> would run on the Oracle JVM but not on OpenJDK.  Are you sure you need
> to even bother with the Oracle JVM?

The main point so far was to aid debugging because you could be certain
on which code base you build and run it.
If everyone is using a slightly different build it's quite hard to track
down bugs. In one of my past jobs someone actually found three bugs in
the JVM and we once were victim of a regression in the expat parsers
in a few Java releases.

If you can not say for sure at which exact version your developers are,
and which one you use in production, and that often across Windows, OS X,
and various Linux distributions, the situation can be quite unpleasant.

I actually do not care for my desktop system at home, but if you run
a lot of stuff on the JVM in production, it can be an issue.

Sven