Re: Status of java-package

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 05:49:19PM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> This package makes a .deb from oracle .tar.gz It does not package java
> 9 nor java 10.  Is there a problem with those versions ?  Is the
> packaged abandonned, and in this case is there anotehr method to uses
> oracle JRE on debian ?

I'm currently maintaining my own fork because I did not get around
to properly hijack the package. I had at some point contact with one
of the prior maintainers but we could not get around merging my Java 9
changes at that point.

So for now my fork is here:
https://git.sven.stormbind.net/?p=sven/java-package.git;a=summary

Usage instruction if you do not want to build a Debian package out
of it:
https://sven.stormbind.net/blog/posts/deb_java-package-oracle-jdk9/

It's not completely polished but I'm reluctant to invest more time
because I assume we all move on to OpenJDK in some form in Januar 2019.

Context:
As far as I know Oracle JRE/JDK builds will be only available for paying
customers on a contract by September 2018 for Java 11 and January 2019
for Java 8. At that point everyone else will propably migrate to some form
of OpenJDK. If it's the one shipped by your distro or 3rd parties like
Azul needs to be determined on a case by case basis I guess.
There will still be reference binary OpenJDK builds published on
jdk.java.net but I'm not sure if it's worth to provide support for them
in java-package.

Cheers,
Sven