Re: painted into a corner

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:23:27PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2018 20:08:11 David Wright wrote:
> > On Mon 20 Aug 2018 at 16:27:18 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > So I reboot to a different installer supplied by the linuxcnc
> > > people, and installed it. Weird, I had access to the network, and
> > > could download updates, but when I looked in /dev/ no sign of either
> > > eth0 or enp0s8.
> >
> > Eh? in /dev?
> >
> Absolutely no trace of either an eth# or an enp0s# there. At that point I
> looked to see if it was 5 o-clock yet.  Wasn't, dammit.

Debian has never put network interface device nodes in /dev.  I don't
know why you expected to see them there.

If you want to learn the names of your network interfaces, there are
several commands that may work:

ip link
netstat -in
ifconfig -a

On any given release or installed-instance of Debian, one or more of these
may not be available, so learn 'em all.  "ip link" is the preferred one
these days, so I put it at the top of the list.