Re: yabasic problem

On 2018-08-19, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

>> I tried to look up their online documentation, but it's one of
>> those stupid javascript-only sites, and I tend to avoid that.
>> Attention economy? I can play that: they won't get mine.
>
> So somebody agrees with me.
> A well done HTML manual is in the Debian package.
> Thanks

I glanced at some doc and your manner of creating a variable is rather
opinionated.

You can test for successful file opening thusly:

 if (not open(#1,"test.dat","r")) print "Can't open the file!"

Opening test.dat in the current directory, reading and printing its
contents, which are:

 one two three
 four five
 six seven eight nine

code:

 open 1,"test.dat","r"
 while(!eof(1))
  input #1 a$
  line input b$
 wend

To create a variable (and then open and read that):

 a=open("foo")
 input #a a$

I ain't no programmer, but sure is butt ugly.

--
"She was a blank wall, fresh painted."
Louise Erdrich, Love Medicine