Re: Literal postings, was Re: Wanted - Debian(preferred)/Linux handheld

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 6:42 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> . A lot of OPs provide very little background information. Sometimes
> this may be because they don't know what *is* relevant, but often a
> thread turns into an episode of "Twenty Questions" because of what
> seems like a reluctance to reveal any facts about their system.
>
> . Following this, when the OP apparently "disappears" after making
> their first post, people are left little option but to make guesses
> about what their problem might be caused by.

In my opinion, the *proper* course of action is then to ask for more
information instead of guessing. If OP then does not reply, then
there's no need to keep going.

I believe that my views on this have changed after the Stack Exchange
network of websites sprung up. It makes such a huge difference in
clarity when bad questions are forcibly closed until corrected.

> . Some OPs provide facts which, when people start investigating, are
> found to be incorrect, so the thread bifurcates into those accepting
> the factoid and others disputing it.

This is of course unfortunate but something even I have to admit that
we have to accept. :)