Re: Predictable Network Interface Names

	Hi.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 04:46:13PM +0200, Martin wrote:
> Hi ML members,
>
> I have a bunch of machines, all virtual, where I have to swap the NIC type. Three or four  NIC's per host, e1000 to vmxnet3 for those who may care about.

vmxnet3 is what's important here.

> With Predictable Network Interface Names enabled, it should be possible, to do this automated.

It is now, once they fixed it.

> I got this 'ens' part, no problem. But where do the numbers come from?

Long story short, VMWare NICs were horribly broken in regards to
Predictable Network Interface Names. Since they fixed it RedHat way,
vmxnet3 NICs are called in accordance to ID_NET_NAME_SLOT udev
parameter, see [1].

> It's about that PCI address numbers, right?

It was, but it's not now. Either VMWare was supplying the kernel bogus
PCI address ([1] says that), or systemd upstream misinterpreted that. It
was not predictable back than, but it was nothing that was impossible to
fix (net.ifnames=0, .link files, the usual).

Reco

[1] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2592561