Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On 14.08.18 06:44, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 08/14/2018 01:43 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > The whole thing is just a plain text file, edited and read with Vim,
> > using multi-level folding, so it all presents as a one-page TOC. My
> > version is probably of limited use to anyone else, as it e.g. only deals
> > with dpkg and apt-get in the current context. All else is completely
> > unknown.
> >
> > Now that we have google, I must admit that there's an alternative, but
> > it won't tell you whether that's what you did last time, giving the
> > particular outcome which you prefer, or confidence of the same result.
> >

> I'm working on it :} Someone pointed me to CherryTree. I have much
> information in saved emails.

Please don't tell anyone, but I too have quite a number of list posts
flagged in mutt for adding to the notes - just not done yet. While
deleting 95% of posts and flagging 1% does distill the local archive
to a useful essence, it's still not as accessible as structured notes,
where related information is colocated, mixed with personal experience.

The optimal balance between doing and documenting depends significantly
on how good the wetware memory still is, but the act of documenting can
significantly improve that memory. (I have forgotten the numbers put
forward, at a seminar decades ago, for the percentage retention of what we:
hear, read, write, carry out in practice, but the difference is marked.)

Erik