Re: debian 9 network configuration

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:31:22 +0100
Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 01:35:56AM -0700, Remigio wrote:
> > desktop or what other software did you install - XFCE, or Gnome
> >> or KDE?  Then folks might be able to help ...
> >>
> >> Also, how would you -like- to configure your networking?
> >
> >Hi Zenaan, :-)
> >the desktop environment is Xfce and I'd love to configure the
> >networking via shell. Thanks and regards
> >

> You can configure NetworkManager from a shell by using the nmcli
> command (upstream documentation at
> https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/stable/nmcli.html)
>
> For example:
>  nmcli radio wifi on
>  nmcli wifi list --rescan
>  nmcli dev wlp4s0 con "My Home Hotspot" password S3cure name "Home"
>  nmcli con up id "My Home Hotspot"

I think the context here is not so much the physical act of typing or
moving a mouse, it's having network software which is understood, and
which won't mess about with your settings when you're not looking.

I use NM on my netbook, and laptop when booted to Linux, and I find it
useful in dealing with assorted wifi and VPN situations. These days, it
Just Works, at least for me. But I would never allow it onto a server
or even a fixed workstation, nothing must ever change then, and a means
of configuration using a fixed text file cannot be beaten.

--
Joe