Re: ISO file to sd card: Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

local10 (2018-08-14):
> Am having issues trasfering iso file to an sd card using dd:
>
> # dd if=/tmp/winfile.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=fsync
>
> dd completes successfully without any issues but when I try to mount
> the sd card I can't (wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/sdb1) and fdisk says "Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid
> partition table". That's kind of strange as I can mount and read
> /tmp/winfile.iso and it seems to be in good order.

That is perfectly normal, an ISO file is an ISO-9660 filesystem image,
it does not contain a MBR-style partition table.

You can try to mount /dev/sdb itself. But you are probably doing
something wrong in the first place. What is your endgame?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George