Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 17:49:08 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 08:35:50AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 06:47:02 -0500
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >
> > > PREAMBLE:
> > > I've downloaded a .deb file.
> > > I've recently done such an install but don't remember how.
> > > Looking at the man pages for apt, apt-get, aptitude didn't help.
> > > Couldn't come up with useful search term for wiki.
> > > Eventually recalled "dpkg -i" which worked.
> > >
> > > QUESTION:
> > > How would someone find the answer if the answer wasn't already
> > > known? I went thru the same sequence last time.
> > >

> > I use gdebi to install local .deb files. It handles the
> > dependencies, too.
>
> As I said already, dpkg does install dependencies. Actually, I don't
> know any (Debian) tool which wouldn't, by default.

It never did for me. Not when I was using Sarge, Etch and Wheezy, that
is. Also, apt-get wouldn't install a downloaded and locally saved .deb
file either. I'm sure those caveats have been corrected with apt, but
I've yet to try under Stretch.  Gdebi still works just fine.

To each his own.