Re: New su behavior in util-linux 2.32

On 2018-08-11, Pétùr <peturvilj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 11/08/2018 à 16:03, Curt a écrit :
>> There was a lengthy discussion, but within it I don't remember anyone
>> detailing the numerous reasons (or any reason at all) executing plain
>> 'su' is a "really bad idea," (where I'm reading "really bad idea" to
>> mean having unintended and very detrimental consequences to the
>> hapless user).
>
> Sorry I missed the discussion (it was during my vacation). I read it
> quickly and, indeed, there is no proper explanation why old "su" is
> dangerous to use or a bad idea.

No one said the old su was dangerous or a bad idea. The new su came about
because "all other distributions are using the implementations from
util-linux."

What was said here (in the NEWS or NOTES or some official document
quoted in this thread) was that executing "su" without any arguments
rather than "su -" was a very bad idea (so that those bitten by the fact
the new, improved su doesn't reset the PATH are kind of getting what
they deserve anyway for being ignorant).

--
"She was a blank wall, fresh painted."
Louise Erdrich, Love Medicine