Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 06:24:55AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
>> I get more mail than that before breakfast. If you've got the
>> right tools, it's easy to deal with.
>
> This is an excellent point.  Many of the people who lodge complaints
> like the one that started this discussion thread have chosen very poor
> tools and thus have conflated the failings of those tools with some
> non-existent inherent problems with mailing lists.

To expand on that with my own personal prejudice -- the people using
these "sub-par" tools are also the ones who're the cause of some of the
existent (modern?) problems with mailing lists.

Namely:

 - HTML Messages
 - Not wrapping messages at ~80 characters
 - top posting

> Serious email users should be using mutt, which is fast, compact,
> resistant to attack, and has an astonishing number of features.

Guess I'm not a "serious" email user then.  Half the time I'm still
using Tbird.

> Those who receive large volumes of mail should be using procmail
> to pre-sort it, and they should be aware of RFC 2919 (and thus
> the existence of List-Id) as an excellent means for doing so.
> These two tools in combination make dealing with large amounts
> of traffic to large numbers of mailing lists quite easy.

Not familiar with procmail.  A quick perusal of the manpage seems to
indicate this is a local mail "processor" for sorting things, as opposed
to say something on the mailserver itself?

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947