Re: OT: What time is it, really?

On Thursday 09 August 2018 11:16:27 Martin wrote:

> Am 09.08.2018 um 17:12 schrieb Nicolas George:
> > Martin (2018-08-09):
> >> First of: The documentation sucks!
> >
> > Care to elaborate?
> >
> >> Do you know if this software can be tricked in a way,
> >
> > I suggest you try to use software instead of tricking it. It works
> > better that way.
>
> Granted.
>
> >> that it does serve ntp in my local network?
> >
> > Do you have any evidence that it does?
>
> I would like to.
> As I tried, it did not.

Then I suggest you reread man ntp.conf, and /etc/ntp.conf, and edit it
as root until you do understand it. Note that changes to take effect,
need a root session of "service ntp restart".

As I said before, my router can be a level 16 source, either by acting as
a server, or as a broadcast source. This machine slaves to the router,
both as a server for init purposes, and as a running listener to the
routers broadcasts.

So the ntpq -p output here is:
gene@coyote:~$ ntpq -p
     remote       refid    st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 router.coyote.d .INIT.    16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
 192.168.71.255  .BCST.    16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

All the other machines here then use this machine as the server in plae
of any 'pool' listings (#commented out) and their ntpq -p output is:
gene@rock64:~$ ntpq -p
     remote      refid     st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*coyote.coyote.d 216.6.2.70 3 u   93   64  176    0.657   -1.093   0.695

That rock64 is an arm64 machine that does not have a clock, fake_hw, but
the /etc/ntp.conf is identical to the other 6 machines.  And I am
banging on the level 2 servers at my isp or even further away, only once
for all the machines here.

Here its from a raspberry pi 3b:
pi@picnc:~ $ ntpq -p
     remote      refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*coyote.coyote.d 216.6.2.70  3 u  121  128  377    0.225    0.374   0.085

I could go on, but its boring. Comment the pool entries in /etc/ntp.conf,
put your server in their place, and uncomment the last 2 lines to enable
the secondary machines to listen to the broadcasts on your subnet of
xx.yy.zz.255

That way they listen to .255 to stay current, and use the server entry
when they boot. Piece of cake.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)