Re: What time is it, really?

On Thursday 09 August 2018 10:35:23 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 07:19:46AM -0700, Fred wrote:
> > So I installed ntpdate as suggested but it is
> > not active yet.
>
> Whoever suggested that is using outdated information.  Install ntp and
> not ntpdate.

+1

> The current versions of the ntp package (since, like, Debian 6.x I
> think) incorporate the one-time clock slamming feature of ntpdate, so
> you don't need ntpdate at all.
>
> > If I ask google what time it is in Mesa AZ. the response agrees
> > closely with an "atomic" clock I have.  The computer clock is about
> > 10 min. fast.
>
> Once you've had ntp installed for several minutes (and possibly
> rebooted, if your clock was particularly bad), you can query it with
> "ntpq -p" to see how it's doing.
>
> Unfortunately, the output format of ntpq -p isn't DOCUMENTED anywhere,
> so it's a bit cryptic.  The most important thing to know, which is not
> stated anywhere except word of mouth like this email, is that the
> "offset" column is reporting milliseconds, not seconds.

Something else I had forgotten is the loading on the level 2 servers. But
was reminded just now. I have ntp running on my router, and this machine
is running on the routers time broadcasts which you can enable in
dd-wrt, and most of the rest of my machines are set and controlled by
the this machines rebroadcast, see the man pages about how to do that.
So I supposedly have only one actual query going out to the network time
servers despite there being 7 to 8 machines on my local network, so that
6 or 7 machines that are not banging on the level 2 servers.

Thats simply being a good net citizen.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)