Re: Network configuration

On 2018-08-06, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 04:01:44 -0400
> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> If you do a command line install with no graphics, you end up with no
>> network configuration once installation completes.
>
> Not in my experience.
>
> At one time, if you did a non-expert install with no network DHCP
> server, then you got no networking, even after a netinstall. It bit me
> around the time of etch or lenny. I've no idea if it's still true today.

I think there's only one Brian over there in the UK somewhere, and here's what
he said a year back that pertains (if the bug still kicks) to whatever it
is we're talking about here (in the interests of precision and clarity):

 netcfg sets up the network during installation and writes a temporary
 /e/n/i stanza. If a user installs a DE and n-m is installed the stanza
 is not copied to /target, the assumption being, I suppose, that the user
 would want n-m to handle the network. This happens when either a wired
 or wireless connection is used to install.

 If the user uses a cabled connection but does not select a DE the stanza
 is copied to /target.

 If a user has a wireless connection but does not select a DE the stanza
 is not copied to /target but rewritten to contain loopback only and then
 copied over. On first boot there is no external connectivity. Your guess
 is as good as mine why a wireless installation is treated differently
 from a cabled one. I have never seen any adequate justification for
 denying external connectivity in this circumstance.

So it is the experience of wireless people, I guess.

--
Some years ago, when the images which this world affords first opened upon me,
when I felt the cheering warmth of summer and heard the rustling of the leaves