Re: Setting default network device in Buster

Pascal, i'm sure when he says "as the default" he wants it to automatically turn on at boot / login. sometimes it's called the preferred interface among other names.

David, what happens if you run sudo systemctl enable ssh and reboot? Then try to log on with ssh before KDE is activated. I have a feeling it is starting sshd when KDE is launched, and not immediately at boot. If this doesn't do it, you can add that command to a startup script that runs before the graphical environment comes up.

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 2:55 PM Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
Le 04/08/2018 à 19:30, David Bruce a écrit :
> I'm just getting back to Debian and Linux after a few years' absence -
> sorry if this is a simplistic question. I installed testing/Buster on
> a newly built desktop machine that has both onboard gigabit ethernet
> and a wireless Atheros NIC. Both devices were recognized during the
> install, and I set the wired interface as the default to minimize any
> connectivity issues.

What do you mean by "set as the default" ?

> Now my machine is up and running, and I want the wireless device to
> always be brought up and used as the default.

What do you mean by "used as the default" ?

> Within KDE, it connects
> to my home network without issues as if the machine were a laptop, but
> it does not appear to have an active connection when KDE is "asleep".

What do you mean by "KDE is asleep" ? Suspended ?
If the laptop is suspended, of course all functions are, including the
network.

> In particular, if I reboot it, I can't ssh into it from my MacBook
> until I sign into KDE, and if KDE goes to sleep, I lose the ability to
> ssh in within a few minutes. I'm not sure any of this is really a
> function of KDE, but the behavior is certainly correlated.

It depends on the network manager used by KDE and the connection settings.
It may set up the connection at startup time, only when a session is
opened by any user, or only by the user which configured the connection.