(finished)Re: how to prevent security update installation during stretch installation

to Matthew Crews:
you have to balance between risk and effort spent to protect your PC.
i don't have files that are so important that i need security update for protection
if i have, i can just copy them to a USB disk
these days 2nd-hand PC are cheap and they meet my needs

to David Christensen:
your solutions is complex, and my cdrom is bad. if it's good, i can install by cdrom, with network disconnected. buy a new cdrom? cdrom is cheap, but IMHO internet has replaced cdrom, cdrom isn't useful except installing software.

to all:
it seems that there's no easy answer to my question
i may have to put up with security update
hopefully this time debian 9.5 will not cause trouble
(debian 9.4 with security update has problem)

i'm not interested in spending any more energy on such trivial issue.
Thanks to all who reply!

On 8/1/18 1:00 AM, Long Wind wrote:

> i don't like security update because i suspect it cause problem (some
> packaged can't be installed) during stretch installation last time
>
> and i've used linux for a long time and i think it's stable even without
> security update. and installing update always takes time and space, and
> it offer little value

I would beg to differ on the "little value" aspect. If you are still
running Debian 9.0 (and not the latest version, 9.5) you are vulnerable
to Meltdown, Spectre, various web browser exploits, and a whole host of
other issues that are documented here:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2017/threads.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2018/threads.html

If you suspect a specific package has a problem due to a security
update, I would file a bug against that package. But to blindly
disregard security updates is irresponsible and dangerous.