Re: Question about /proc/loadavg

On 07/31/2018 10:31 AM, Martin Drescher wrote:
> Hi ML members,
>
> I have a question about how the numbers compute which I get from /proc/loadavg.
> I'm running a bunch of HTTP servers, most of them running a RHEL 6, which is a kernel version 2.6. All patches applied, so that Meltdown and Spectre stuff should be included. Some of the servers where migrated to a Debian 9 with a kernel version 4.9, also all patches applied. What I see is a tremendous difference in /proc/loadavg. It is like 3 ~ 4 in kernel 2.6 and like 15 ~ 20 in 4.9. It is not a real problem, that Debian is running well.
> But does someone has a clue, what makes that difference?

Hi Martin,

can you show real data from /proc/loadavg output? Which column do you
compare?

I wouldn't worry about difference in /proc/loadavg because everything is
different between RHEL/CentOS 6 and Debian 9 - kernel, Apache version,
different patches, etc. For example if I/O is faster on Debian 9 then
it's normal to have higher CPU load on the server, if I understood you
correctly.

Kind regards
Georgi