Converting from iscsitarget to targetcli-fb

This is with Debian 9 system which had been upgraded from Debian
8 a month or so ago.

I have an existing iscsi target blockio device with /dev/md1
Somehow it continued working under Debian 9 until a recent reboot
introduced a kernel update and then the module wasn't found:

FATAL: Module iscsi_trgt not found in directory /lib/modules/4.9.0-7-amd64

The solution in the bug report about that is to switch to targetcli-fb

When I look at the docs for targetcli, I don't see any hints/guides on how to configure
an existing iSCSI target made before on the blockio device.

My google fu has failed to find a guide/hints on existing iSCSI device conversion to targetcli.

Does anyone have a hint or link to share?

I have an existing target with valuable data on /dev/md1 and I need to configure it with targetcli.