Re: Unmet dependencies in installing virtualbox-5.2

On 2018-07-29 at 23:43, 慕 冬亮 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> my host system is Debian Buster(i.e., Debian Testing). When I installed
> Virtualbox-5.2, I encountered "unmet dependencies". The details is in
> the following:
>
> $ sudo apt install virtualbox-5.2

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-5.2
virtualbox-5.2:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox
virtualbox:
  Installed: 5.2.16-dfsg-3
  Candidate: 5.2.16-dfsg-3
  Version table:
 *** 5.2.16-dfsg-3 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/contrib amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It looks as if virtualbox-5.2 is a virtual or otherwise nonexistent
package - i.e., one mentioned in dependencies (etc.) by other packages,
but which does not actually exist in the archive.

> [sudo] password for mdl:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   virtualbox-5.2 : Depends: libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2) but it is not going to
> be installed

However, the fact that you get a dependency list for it would seem to
contradict that.

(For what it's worth, I don't have libcurl3 installed at all, and yet I
do have virtualbox present - just not virtualbox-5.2.)

What do you get from the 'apt-cache policy' commands above?

What about from 'apt-cache show virtualbox-5.2'?

--
   The Wanderer