Re: Local system program analytics

On 7/12/18, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 03:45:18PM +0200, Mirko Parthey wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 07:18:55AM -0400, David Maulik wrote:
>> > Is there any program that can show me the programs on my system I use
>> > the most?
>> > I'm looking for something that can help me trim unneeded/unused packages
>> > as
>> > well as show me which programs I use the most to help inform
>> > support/donation
>> > decisions.
>>
>> You could try BSD process accounting. The Debian kernels have it built
>> in,
>> and the userspace tools such as "sa" can be found in the "acct" package.
>
> So the programs which burn most CPU will get most sponsoring ;-)
>
> Don't get me wrong -- I think your answer ist a good data point.
> I just wanted to illustrate how difficult a "good" answer to the
> OP's seemingly simple question is...

Agreed on a seemingly simple so is not when one takes into account all
that is going on under the hood.

For some reason, your response then made me think... a close second
might be something that monitors activity on...

/usr/bin; /usr/sbin; etc...

?

OR NOT. :)

That would take into account the various ways various users choose to
access packages throughout every day, e.g. via Applications menu and
terminal command line...

Also while playing with my own new 6 (?) button mouse, I encountered
wmbutton which turned out to be another way to open programs....

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *