Re: how to remove a file and change dns server

Thank John!

i have a look at the thread suggested by Roberto
it's long and my energy is limited

but i have 2 PCs and i can let one use dns by isp, the other by vpn
so i want to delete that file

On Monday, July 9, 2018, 3:22:36 PM GMT+8, john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:

Bottom posting.

On 7/9/2018 9:12 AM, Long Wind wrote:
>  Thank Ben! i just return home
>
> my old resolv.conf has that line too
> but i use twm and don't have easy gui app for Network Manager
>
> but i don't miss them
> and could you help me delete that resolv.conf?
> Thanks!
>
>      On Monday, July 9, 2018, 9:24:37 AM GMT+8, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:

>  On 09/07/18 12:55, Long Wind wrote:
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 51 May 15 20:52 /etc/resolv.conf
>> i can't remove file above, the story behind it:
>> dns servers are usually provided by isp
>> but they can't be used with vpn
>> so vpn provider told me to make a special resolv.conf
>> which contains dns servers not provided isp
>> dns server by vpn provider is useful when i visit blocked sites
>> but they are not as fast as those by isp
>> my question is  how to change dns server as needed?
>> it seem that resolv.conf is automatically managed
>> and how to remove the special resolv.conf
>
> What application do you use to manage your network connections? I use
> NetworkManager, which manages resolve.conf. I find this more convenient
> than manually editing resolv.conf. My resolv.conf starts with:
>
> # Generated by NetworkManager
>
> If I use the NetworkManager desktop applet to access the connection
> editor (nm-connection-editor), I can edit the connection; under IPv4
> Settings, I set Method Manual and list the DNS servers for this
> connection. I can also see the DNS servers listed under the Connection
> Information. The default behaviour is to use the DNS server supplied via
> DHCP, for example, from your router (likely the router itself). You will
> likely need two connections: one for your main connection and one for
> your VPN. I suggest adding custom DNS servers under your VPN connection
> settings.
>
> Kind regards,

The issue is not to "remove" resolv.conf(5) but to understand which
process is olding that file then you would use that utility to append
your proper lines.

--
John Doe