Re: how to remove a file and change dns server

Thank Ben! i just return home

my old resolv.conf has that line too
but i use twm and don't have easy gui app for Network Manager

but i don't miss them
and could you help me delete that resolv.conf?
Thanks!

On Monday, July 9, 2018, 9:24:37 AM GMT+8, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:

On 09/07/18 12:55, Long Wind wrote:

> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 51 May 15 20:52 /etc/resolv.conf
> i can't remove file above, the story behind it:
> dns servers are usually provided by isp
> but they can't be used with vpn
> so vpn provider told me to make a special resolv.conf
> which contains dns servers not provided isp
> dns server by vpn provider is useful when i visit blocked sites
> but they are not as fast as those by isp
> my question is  how to change dns server as needed?
> it seem that resolv.conf is automatically managed
> and how to remove the special resolv.conf

What application do you use to manage your network connections? I use
NetworkManager, which manages resolve.conf. I find this more convenient
than manually editing resolv.conf. My resolv.conf starts with:

# Generated by NetworkManager

If I use the NetworkManager desktop applet to access the connection
editor (nm-connection-editor), I can edit the connection; under IPv4
Settings, I set Method Manual and list the DNS servers for this
connection. I can also see the DNS servers listed under the Connection
Information. The default behaviour is to use the DNS server supplied via
DHCP, for example, from your router (likely the router itself). You will
likely need two connections: one for your main connection and one for
your VPN. I suggest adding custom DNS servers under your VPN connection
settings.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>