Re: Nvidia drivers

Thanks for the answer!

	First, checking installed kernel headers was the first thing I
tried when dkms failed.

	I'll try using the workaround when I get home tonight and see
how it goes. I try not to use too much stuff from sid, especially on
essential systems like this.

	However I did not understand exactly what was the problem. I
assume it was something that was changed in the kernel since it was the
kernel upgrade that "broke" the driver, but it might also have been
something in the driver that was addressed in the kernel. What exactly
happened? I'm not a driver hacker so I don't really understand what is
the issue...

Francisco

On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 09:55 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 08:03:22PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> > On 7/5/18 5:42 PM, Francisco Mariano-Neto wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > 	I'm running kernel 4.15 with nvidia-driver 390.48-3 with no
> > > problems. However, recently my kernel was automatically upgraded
> > > to 4.16
> > > and it broke the nvidia driver.
> > >
> > > 	Running 'dkms autoinstall --all' does not help, it complains
> > > about not finding kernel headers (which are installed) and quits.
> > >
> > > 	Any ideas on how I can rebuild the kernel module for the new
> > > kernel version?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Francisco
> > >

> > This requires a workaround, a kernel parameter at boot.
> >
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="slab_common.usercopy_fallback=y"
> >
> > Edit the config file like this,
> >
> > $sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
> >
> > Then run $sudo update-grub.
> >

> Actually, as of version 390.67-2, that's no longer needed. Quoting
> [1]:
>
> 	nvidia-graphics-drivers (390.67-2) unstable; urgency=high
>
> 	  * Add kmem_cache_create_usercopy.patch from Red Hat, fixing
> "Bad or missing
> 		usercopy whitelist? Kernel memory exposure attempt
> detected from SLUB
> 		object 'nvidia_stack_cache'" on Linux kernels that have
> disabled
> 		CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_FALLBACK (i.e. linux-image-
> 4.16.0-2-* or newer).
> 		(Closes: #901919)
>
> 	 -- Andreas Beckmann <anbe@debian.org>  Thu, 05 Jul 2018
> 02:01:31 +0200
>
> [1] http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/n/nvidi
> a-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_390.67-2_changelog

[]s,

Francisco M Neto