Re: Outgoing email with exim, was Re: Strange LAN IP Address.

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 05:42:15PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 03 Jul 2018 at 08:52:22 (-0700), Mike McClain wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 03:17:27PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> > <snip>
> >     Should anyone reading this know hjow to get exim4 to connect to
> > outbound.att.net I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Curt got the wiki, and my googling landed on
> https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1010523
> and
> https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/email-support/KM1240308
> It looks as though these are more up to date than the wiki.
>
> In the first, I assume that the table rows are labelled wrongly,
> but it seems to show SMTP on smtp.mail.att.net ports 465 or 587
> as well as the hostname you gave. I would also try port 587 on
> both hostnames: it won't be the first to give the wrong one.
>
> The second shows how to get a suitable password for your userID.
> (I would use this approach merely because I don't know anything
> about oath.)
>
> Anyway, what doesn't work for you and what response do you get
> from exim?

What doesn't work? Can't send mail.
Long before Verizon and Oath were involved with Yahoo.

When I switched from dialup AT&T had me using port 465 and at that
time I was getting some kind of authorization error but couldn't find
out what.

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_smarthost='outbound.att.net::465'

Here's an excerpt from current exim's log:
2018-07-03 19:51:29 1faXd0-0008Gb-JB Remote host
smtp.att.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com [67.195.228.97] closed
connection in response to initial connection
2018-07-03 19:51:59 1faXd0-0008Gb-JB == nialccm.ekim@gmail.com
R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (-18): Remote host
smtp.att.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com [98.136.96.82] closed connection in
response to initial connection

Switching update-exim4.conf.conf to read:
dc_smarthost='outbound.att.net::587'

exim's log now shows:
2018-07-03 20:15:24 1faYFl-00006U-4d ** mikemcclain.46@att.net
R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail
server after MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=2464: host
smtp.att.mail.fy4.b.yahoo.com [67.195.228.97]: 550 Request failed;
Mailbox unavailable

This last message shows a further complication. I have a primary email
account with ATT as well as several aliases,. I also have a Yahoo
account, likewise gmail and am likely to use any of them as the source
(From:, ReplyTo: headers) in outgoing mail depending on where it's going.
I only have one, the primary, in /etc/exim4/passwd.client for ATT.

My dialup doesn't care what I call myself when I send email but
perhaps ATT/Yahoo does.

No I haven't tried to get that special password.

What I've got works, I guess I'll leave it rather than jump through
hoops for Verizon.

Thanks for the references.
Mike
--
Where man is there will be trouble to the end of time,
if not of one sort, then of another."