Outgoing email with exim, was Re: Strange LAN IP Address.

On Tue 03 Jul 2018 at 08:52:22 (-0700), Mike McClain wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 03:17:27PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> <snip>
> > When I ran ifconfig on the Linux platform it showed the unet
> > connection to be 162.237.98.238!!?????  The LAN modem employs DCHP
> > set with allowed IP range as 192.168.1.64 through 192.168.1.253,
> > which was set by the T&T installer when we switched to a fiber optic
> > network.
> >
> > Further examination of the modem settings showed IP Passthrough
> > status as on (Public IP Address), which was, in fact the IP.
>
>     ATT tech support demonstrated to me that they can change the
> settings remotely.
>     If they can so can some one else.
>
> > I spent 40 minutes, on hold for 28 of those minutes, with an AT&T
> > UVVerse technical (????) person without hearing any reasons why the
> > IP was what it was.
>
>     When I signed up with ATT Uverse I accumulated hours on the phone
> trying to get email out through their server. I gave up and used my
> dialup account.
>     Their tech support -- isn't. Many of those people didn't grow up
> with computers and have no idea what goes on under the hood. Even when
> you get someone in Dallas rather than Manila answers and understanding
> can be lacking.
>
>     Should anyone reading this know hjow to get exim4 to connect to
> outbound.att.net I'd love to hear about it.

Curt got the wiki, and my googling landed on
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1010523
and
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/email-support/KM1240308
It looks as though these are more up to date than the wiki.

In the first, I assume that the table rows are labelled wrongly,
but it seems to show SMTP on smtp.mail.att.net ports 465 or 587
as well as the hostname you gave. I would also try port 587 on
both hostnames: it won't be the first to give the wrong one.

The second shows how to get a suitable password for your userID.
(I would use this approach merely because I don't know anything
about oath.)

Anyway, what doesn't work for you and what response do you get
from exim?

Cheers,
David.