Re: how to update Debian 9.4 to at least OpenGL 3.3

On 2018-06-28 11:11 -0400, Brian Cary wrote:

> Greetings,
> New to Debian, long-time Ubuntu user. If is in the wrong place, apologies,
> please point me in the right direction.
>
> QUESTION:
> Can some-one tell me how (or point me to updated step-by-step docs) to
> update
> my Debian 9.4 system (with Gnome) to at least OpenGL 3.3 mesa drivers?
>
> BACKGROUND:
> Avid Blender user. Those latest versions of Blender contain critically
> needed features. I would like to start working/learning on not-yet-released
> Blender 2.8 which comes out late in 2018.
>
> Blender 2.8 requires OpenGL 3.3
> (per here: https://www.blender.org/2-8/#viewport )
>
> Debian 9.4 seems to have OpenGL 3.0
> On my system:
>
> $ glxinfo |grep "OpenGL version"
>> OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
>>

> So how can I upgrade Mesa drivers to a level that supports
> at least OpenGL 3.3 (or higher)?

You probably already have them.  From the release notes:

,----
| Mesa 13.0.6 implements the OpenGL 4.4 API, but the version reported by
| glGetString(GL_VERSION) or glGetIntegerv(GL_MAJOR_VERSION) /
| glGetIntegerv(GL_MINOR_VERSION) depends on the particular driver being
| used. Some drivers don't support all the features required in OpenGL
| 4.4. OpenGL 4.4 is only available if requested at context creation
| because compatibility contexts are not supported.
`----

IIUC the last sentence is why "OpenGL version string" is stuck at 3.0.
To see the maximum OpenGL version the driver supports, you need to look
at the "OpenGL core profile version" string.

$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL core profile version"

It should report 3.3 or higher unless your graphics card is older than
~10 years.

Cheers,
       Sven