Re: prevent packages from installing

rv riveravaldez composed on 2018-06-19 03:18 (UTC-0300):

>> The man page for apt_preferences is clear as mud about any (pinning) example
>> that seems equivalent, or even what name(s) of file(s) are supposed to be to
>> create pins. Google so far has been no help. Holding is either being ignored, or
>> holds are being silently unheld. How do I keep unwanted packages from getting
>> installed?

>>         apt purge xserver-xorg-video-radeon

>> Attempting to do so wants to install

>> xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
>> xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
>> xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
>> xserver-xorg-video-vesa
>> xserver-xorg-video-vmware

>> The only driver I want used is the modesetting driver built into the server.
>> Anything else for this installation I would consider broken.

> Check if apt-mark does what you need.

If I try to hold one of those drivers, then another, it unholds the first,
leaving total hold count at one package. If I try to set all the holds in one
command, it succeeds (as proven by showhold), then proceeds to try to install
the held packages anyway when I try to purge radeon.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/