prevent packages from installing

In openSUSE, adding lock is easy:

	zypper al packagename

So is removing lock:

	zypper rl packagename

ATM, I'm trying to do equivalent in Buster.

The man page for apt_preferences is clear as mud about any (pinning) example
that seems equivalent, or even what name(s) of file(s) are supposed to be to
create pins. Google so far has been no help. Holding is either being ignored, or
holds are being silently unheld. How do I keep unwanted packages from getting
installed?

	apt purge xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Attempting to do so wants to install

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-vesa
xserver-xorg-video-vmware

The only driver I want used is the modesetting driver built into the server.
Anything else for this installation I would consider broken.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/