Re: Sata health

On Thursday 14 June 2018 11:58:40 Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:20:29AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Does wheezy have a utility that can scan the sata bus, reporting on
> > the health of the hardware, doing it in such a way as to not trigger
> > an endless loop of resets for a device that may not have a good
> > interconnecting cable?
> >
> > I have a hot swap cage, 3 drive model, and the central pocket is
> > still not properly responding even with a new cable between it and
> > the mobo's array of sockets.  As far as I know, there are no
> > "active" devices in this data path. Being able to scan for proper
> > function might give a clue where the problem lies.
>
> smartmontools is the package; it has smartd and smartctl. Smartd
> looks for SMART error codes, and smartctl can identify drives,
> show current SMART tables, and start and report on drive
> self-tests.
>
> -dsr-

smartctl I have used many time. smartd hasn't shown up on my radar.
However about 6 reboots later, and yet another new cable installed, the
drive is as happy as a clam in pocket 2 of the cage. It was indeed a bad
new cable.

So thats progress, now if I could just get apt to refresh its repo
listings.  That too is a question asked somewhere above. And since I'm
running dd-wrt in my router, I am convinced its related the the name
change, and dd-wrt doesn't have a clue what enp**0 is thats trying to
hack its way out to the net.  Funny part is that firefox goes anyplace I
point it at.

Why the heck did they change the network devices name?????  A change just
to placate someones ego, is a major PITA for the users who have to deal
with the fallout...

It would be nice to have email working on the new install, but for that
to happen, the apt package manager must have free reign of the planet so
I can install TDE, then copy my 28GB email corpus and all the helpers
over to the new drive.

Thanks Dan.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett