Re: [Solved, largely] Re: Latest version of X not starting in buster

On 6/14/18, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 12:40 +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> Siard wrote on 06/13/18 17:28:
>> > <snip>
>> > I took a try and upgraded the xserver-*** packages in testing to
>> > version 2:1.20.0 taken from unstable.
>> > It did work; X (started with 'startx') is back, despite the systemd
>> > packages having version 238.
>> > It looks like things will be back to normal after the next upgrade
>> > of X in testing.  Anyway, thanks for responding.
>>
>> Which init package do you use? On my systems it's sysvinit-core.
>
> systemd at the moment.  sysvinit-core is not installed.

Just throwing this out there. xinit is mine (on Xfce4). It's always
high on my to-do list immediately after initial debootstrap installs.

While searching my inbox to see what had come up in the past,
xserver-xorg-legacy had a few mentions related to startx/xinit. One
person, Debian user Jason, experienced success by *removing* it
instead of installing, but I don't know the advisability of going that
route since I've never had to tinker with it myself. :)

And user Gareth discovered that their window manager had been removed
during an upgrade:

In your original post, you said:

> But since then, when starting X from the console, the process soon comes to a
> grinding halt. These are the last lines:

> (==) Log file: "/home/<user>/local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jun 12 16:18:18
> 2018
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

*My* kneejerk reaction is it *looks like* it's searching for a hint
that it's not finding.

THEN AGAIN... it's also possible that's just saying that it
successfully completed those steps and then got hung up. My same file
went straight to /usr/share. The lines immediately after it reference
not finding yada-yada so it falls back on default. :)

One or more of those three paths received mentions in the various
threads I found. Maybe searching the Debian-User archives will turn up
a user-specific tweak that needs done there?

PS and by the way, those references pulled up related to xinit,
startx, and xserver-xorg-legacy. All three were used as standalone
keywords during searches. Mentioning that in case it helps narrow down
a related search.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey