[Solved, largely] Re: Latest version of X not starting in buster

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Which version of the systemd packages (udev, libsystemd0, etc.) is
> installed?

238-5.

> On my testing/unstable systems X can be started using "startx" with
> xorg-server version 2:1.20.0-2 but systemd packages in version 237.
> systemd 238 is not working.

I took a try and upgraded the xserver-*** packages in testing to version
2:1.20.0 taken from unstable.
It did work; X (started with 'startx') is back, despite the systemd
packages having version 238.
It looks like things will be back to normal after the next upgrade of
X in testing.  Anyway, thanks for responding.