Re: A newer kernel for my genesi smartbook

Robert Pommrich wrote:

> I don't know how to find out, if the hardware is really supported, nor
> how to build a mainline kernel and integrate it with Uboot.

I can't speak about your genesi smartbook, but I have few rear boards and
what I usually do is go through all modules used - loaded/compiled in.
I make sure to have them enabled in the kernel config and build package for
the kernel or just build initrd.

I found it very practical to test using PXE or similar (boot/root over
internet (nfs) - one can easily test kernel without much effort (of course
the effort goes into setting up the nfs/root boot part.

you can compile all drivers used by the board in the kernel also to avoid
using initrd, but many would object here.

if it is not x86 it is a bit more complicated

regards