Re: installing 9.4 from the dvd's iso.

On Monday 11 June 2018 11:54:45 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:07:46AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Generally speaking, a big hey y'all to the developers.
> >
> > All of my squawks about the wheezy installer have been addressed.
>
> [...]
>
> > Just one thing seems to be missing: apt nor synaptic, will go out on
> > the net [...]
> >
> > I am also confused because when it went to install grub, it found,
> > someplace, a ubuntu 18-04 instal [...]
>
> What is the contents of file /etc/apt/sources.list? Perhaps apt
> is still looking for its repositories on your install media?
>
> > However an admittedly cursory read of all the files in /etc/apt,
> > does not explain apt's reticence to download the new repo lists. So
> > thats the next thing to fix.
>
> Show us :-)
>
> Cheers
> -- tomás

Can't, don't know how yet with the new 9.4 install.

What I can say is that it doesn't seem to return any errors, but an apt
update is completed in somewhat more than a second, and according to the
traffic leds in an 8 port switch, generates no net traffic. This after I
had commented out the cdrom entry in sources.list.

Is there a way to turn up the debugging? I hadn't thought of it till just
now, but next time I install that drive and boot from it, I'll find out
if strace is installed by default. That may be somewhat more
educational.

But first, I had that drive plugged into sata-6, and had to use the bios
boot menu to select it to boot from, so I'm going to unload the middle
drive in the hot plug cage, and see if it will find it automatically on
sata-2 when the top drive (sata-1) is ejected.

I also want to remove all small partitions and re-format another of those
drives, re-configureing it for amanda's use. That will replace a 1T in
slot 3 of that cage, with a 2T, so amanda will have a little bit more
play room. I should at the same time, wheel it out to the front deck and
attack the dust bunny's with an air hose, its been about a year & the
fan blades are getting heavy. But here this afternoon its intermittently
dumping the Jolly Green Giants boots after a hard party last night, so
that can wait.

I'll be back when I have something to report.

Thanks Tomas.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)