End-user effects of IPv4 - IPv6 transistion

The recent post about disabling IPv6 raised the question "How does this affect me?" A Duck-Duck-Go search gave a number of hits what the were and also some historical information.
How does this affect a home user with only one machine?
As one of the articles reported that my ISP {T-Mobile} was already using IPv6 internally, I suspect it does not.
Are there any "gotchas"?
Suggested search terms that would be fruitful for a home user?
[There is a side issue - a very non-geek friend living 1000 miles away who uses only Windows will be contacting me if he encounters problems. I will have to educate myself to see things from his perspective.]

TIA