Re: Intermittent blank screen – Stretch

On 06/03/2018 06:29 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 03 June 2018 07:54:22 Mike wrote:

On 02/06/18 08:11, floris wrote:
Mike schreef op 2018-06-01 01:27:
I have just installed Stretch and and randomly getting a 2 second
(or so) blank screen. I can go for quite some time without it
happening, or it can happen several times over a few minutes. I can
dual boot with Jessie and do not have the problem with that – so I
think I can rule out a hardware issue.

I have an Nvidia GTX1050 video card, HDMI output to a Samsung 49"
TV, 4K video. There is no other type of input into the TV for me to
be able to test.

Here is what I have done
1. Installed Stretch (amd64) with XFCE
2. apt-get install firmware-linux nvidia-driver nvidia-settings
nvidia-xconfig
3. run nvidia-xconfig
4. turned off screen blanking in power settings

I am quite happy to spend time troubleshooting, but don’t really
know where to start. The blanking happens too quickly for me to be
able to do anything at the time.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

You can try the NVidia driver module from backports [1] and/or run
journalctl -f in a terminal and wait for the blank screen.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/nvidia-driver
---
Floris

Okay, now here is a weird thing.

I just unplugged a USB cable that was, in turn, connected to a
microcontroller. My screen went blank. When I plugged in back in it
went blank again. This happened about 4 times until I could plug and
unplug without the blanking. I left it for 30-odd seconds and was able
to do the same thing. It did not happen when I unplugged my computer
keyboard, or my USB camera.

Does this give anyone any ideas?

Yes.  Unplug it again, and install htop, the run it as root so the kill
button, F9 can kill any thing. Plug the cable to the micro-controller
back in and see what pops up in the top 10 or so when htop is set to
watch cpu. My theory is that the micro-controller is spaming your main
box with lots of traffic.  But its just a theory.

Hi Gene, I want to make sure I understand your instructions. You say install htop and run htop as root, when the screen goes black press f9.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - TDE Trinity R14.0.4 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263