Re: Update on my update problem with gnome system.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

   <snip>

>        dist-upgrade
>            dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently
>            handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart"
>            conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
>            at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may
>            therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of
>            locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5)
>            for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.

Warning:  Ubuntu ("close enough" to Debian to confuse me, multiple years) regularly requires dist-upgrade to do their frequent Kernel Upgrades, because they change Version Numbers on, among other things, the vmlinuz file.  So, when I do "apt-get upgrade" on the remaining Ubuntu Laptop, I regularly see things like,

<snip>

Wow!  I said "bad things" about Ubuntu regarding this topic but, just today, experienced the same kind of thing, with Debian Stretch, regarding the vlc "uber Package".  Seems it's replacing libvlccore8 with libvlccore9, along with several other replacements!  So Debian also uses this technique (dist-upgrade) for, other than "Upgrading the Distribution".

Sorry about that, Ubuntu.  :-)

Kenneth Parker