Re: Installing Debian on a Minnowboard Turbot with installer on USB stick?

Hi Thomas,

On Jun 3, 2018, at 1:26 AM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Rick Thomas wrote:
>> Instead, I used
>>   firmware-9.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>> to avoid any possible alpha/testing anomalies.
>
> Normally i'd say that there is no decisive difference to expect.
> In any case copying a "netinst" ISO is much faster than a "DVD-1".
>

>> When I tried part (a) — just a simple dd — with
>> debian-9.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso, the minnowboard immediately recognized it as
>> bootable and presented it as part of the EFI menu labeled “EFI USB Device”.
>
> Normally this difference should not appear. Very strange.
>
> But we can now classify the demand for GPT on
>  https://minnowboard.org/tutorials/best-practice-boot-media-selection
> as spin-off of the usual rumor that EFI needs GPT.
>

>> it booted without incident and ran the installer.
>> When it came to the part where it looks for a CD, it easily found the USB
>> stick
>
> This was expectable. As long as the ISO is marked as partition, the
> script in the initrd should find the device.
>

>> tried
>> part (a) with “firmware-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-DVD-1.iso”.  And guess what!
>> That worked too, just the same as the other two.
>
> Hrmpf. At least above "normally"s are not generally put in doubt.
> It would be another riddle if one ISO would fail reproducibly while
> the other succedds reproducibly.
>
> Maybe you changed a setting in the firmware ?

In the previous experiments (where I modified the partition tables on the stick after dd-ing) I did try some different setting in the firmware.  But for the above described experiments, I reset the firmware to factory defaults before starting the process and made no changes thereafter.

>> or there’s something flakey about the USB ports on this device
>
> But why did the manual start of “fs0:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi” ran the
> boot loader, loaded the kernel, and came far enough to run into the
> software shortcoming of device detection ?

I’m not absolutely sure that the manual start was necessary.  I may have gotten used to never seeing the “EFI USB Device” menu entry.  So when the stars aligned and the stick *was* seen, I didn’t notice.  So, maybe, the fact that I got it to work from the command line was just because it would have worked anyway that time from the EFI menu.

>> In any case, I apologize for all the noise.
>
> I doubt that this was a hallucination.
> If not the hardware (stick and port) makes itself a suspect by failing
> in normal operation, then i’d bet on the firmware's settings.

I’m pretty sure that everything I’ve been seeing can be explained if we assume the minnowboard firmware has trouble recognizing a USB3.0 device as bootable.