Re: Get the external IP address from a Linux box

On Tue 29 May 2018 at 08:04:06 (-0400), Alan Greenberger wrote:
> On 2018-05-28, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> >> You are mostly correct.  However, I have one machine on which the
> >> response to
> >> /usr/sbin/arp -n
> >> shows two lines with the HWaddress of the router, one with the internal
> >> address as you said and the other with the external address.  I have no
> >> idea what made arp see the external address.
> >
> > Can we see what you're seeing (suitably mangled)?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
> >

> 192.168.1.1              ether   6x:3x:ex:7x:4x:bx   C                     eth0
> 2x.1xx.1xx.1xx           ether   6x:3x:ex:7x:4x:bx   C                     eth0

The easiest way to achieve this might be to plug that host's cable
into the modem rather than the router (for just a short period).
I don't know how long it takes for arp entries to expire.

A more worrying alternative is that something is misconfigured in the
router, but I don't know what.

Cheers,
David.