Re: exim4 and TLS Once Again

On Tue 29 May 2018 at 12:25:03 (-0500), Martin McCormick wrote:

> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
> > My previous post posed two posers. Port?
>
> It is supposed to be port 465.  That's what the
> conf.autogenerated file showed it should be but it could be doing
> something contrary like port 25-- anything but the right one.

Perhaps my earlier attachment got lost, so here's the text:

--✁--------

Enter Outgoing Server Settings information and click Create.

    SMTP Server: smtp.suddenlink.net
    User Name: Your Suddenlink email address
    Password: The password for your Suddenlink email account
    Outgoing Mail Port: 25 or 587

--✃--------

> 	I have joined the exim-users mailing list as of a few
> hours ago and if I find anything useful, I will let the list,
> here, know as I suspect that something changed and the fix is
> non-intuitive but probably not difficult if one knows what to
> tweak.  The server at our internet service provider is fairly
> standards-based so we shouldn't have to boil the ocean to make it
> work again.

AIUI 587 is the standard email submission port and 465 is now
deprecated but often still in use. I think they differ in the
details of how they handle encrypting the session.

Cheers,
David.