Re: Cannot delete files

	Hi.

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 03:58:09PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 26 May 2018 at 21:54:57 (+0300), Reco wrote:

> > > That's a new one on me: is it meant to happen? It seems like a
> > > Catch-22 if you can't delete files when a partition is full.
> > > All I've observed is that various things get stuck, depending on
> > > the filesystem involved (usually /home in my case).
> >
> > What if 'delete' actually means 'we move files to some hidden trash
> > directory'?
> > To move a file you must change trash directory inode, possibly growing
> > it. You must change original directory inode as well, but ext3/4 does
> > not shrink directory size on deletion.
> > Thus 'lack of free space' equals 'unable to move files'. Or "delete"
> > them, in DE speak.
>
> I was under the impression that you just selected delete with the
> shift key held, but that's memories of windows almost 2 decades ago.

Same here. Been a long time, and I don't miss *that* experience at all.

OP's email said, to quote:

> I amusing the current debian version with KDE destop.

Funny things can happen if you use allegedly cross-platform set of
libraries (aka qt framework) to build a Modern Desktop Enviroment™,
using certain proprietary OS as an inspiration.

Back in the days of KDE3 I could answer 'yes' to your question.

But now? KDE sources could easily nominate for 'obfuscated C++
programming contents', and reading them aloud can summon dreaded
Spaghetti Monster :).

I could spend an evening with strace(1) and ltrace(1), and learn it, but
I'm too lazy to do it now.

Reco