Re: Cannot delete files

On 5/26/18, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 01:42:51PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>> On Sat 26 May 2018 at 20:21:13 (+0200), Hans wrote:
>> > Am Samstag, 26. Mai 2018, 19:48:44 CEST schrieb ben:
>> > Hi Ben,
>> >
>> > hard to say, maybe your partition is mounted read only?
>> > This happened at me in the past for two times. One after a filesystem
>> > check,
>> > the other case was, when the partition was full.
>>
>> That's a new one on me: is it meant to happen? It seems like a
>> Catch-22 if you can't delete files when a partition is full.
>> All I've observed is that various things get stuck, depending on
>> the filesystem involved (usually /home in my case).
>
> What if 'delete' actually means 'we move files to some hidden trash
> directory'?
> To move a file you must change trash directory inode, possibly growing
> it. You must change original directory inode as well, but ext3/4 does
> not shrink directory size on deletion.
> Thus 'lack of free space' equals 'unable to move files'. Or "delete"
> them, in DE speak.

Am *smacking my head* for not automatically thinking that. I started
to just respond to David's comment when his reminded me that I've been
there, done that, couldn't delete because SDHC disks were full (within
cameras).

With Reco's comment adding its reminder, I now see it as a mix between
trash needing room to grow with its necessary, ever increasing
[historical reference] data AND whatever system is involved possibly
needing some free "physical" space to manipulate those files from here
to wherever in their last few seconds of #Life.

I think I'm thinking some level of "memory" (or *something*, whatever
it is) with that second part such as it has been my understanding of
why we were always prodded to keep buying new hard drives LONG before
they ever filled up. Suggested rule of thumb used to sound ridiculous,
a super low percentage of disk usage with my memory yelling we were
told to start sweating it at maybe 1/3 full.

Was possibly a high percentage k/t on that suggested number going to
manufacturers who wanted to keep people buying their product. I've got
one 2TB right now with 66GB left. It's really not doing too badly
still.. although.. it's only asked to perform [storage tasks] once or
twice a day for a couple minutes instead of being asked to keep
processing things basically every second. :)

That permissions thing... that's... got my interest. I've got
something I've got to try again. It's not the kind of thing you can
ponder out loud.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey